Does heat help memory foam expand? It certainly does! When a memory foam mattress hasn't fully expanded, you can speed up the process by warming up the bedroom, walking or rolling on the mattress, or waiting a few more days.
Part of the mattress still looks smushed or compacted
You've just received your new memory foam mattress in the mail. You open it up, but the memory foam mattress corners aren't expanding. This is a problem.
It may appear shallower or not fill up the entire bed frame. This can impact your sleep, but luckily, there are ways to go about breaking in your new mattress.
Tips and Tricks
Knowing how to make memory foam expand faster can help you get a good night's sleep more quickly. Here are several ways to go about doing this.
- Heat up the mattress - Memory foam is temperature sensitive. Cold temperatures will prevent it from expanding completely. Warm up your room to at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit to expedite the expansion.
- Wait 72 hours - After taking the mattress out of the box, you may want to leave it on the floor for a few days. This gives it time to fully expand.
- Walk or roll on the mattress - Movement can help soften the memory foam's surface. Just 10 minutes of movement is often all it takes to even out your mattress.
- Sleep on it - After 72 hours, it's a good idea to finally sleep on your mattress. It may be uncomfortable at first. Slowly but surely, your body should adjust.
- Acquire the best foundation - One reason your mattress may not feel right is due to it laying on an old foundation. When you buy a new mattress it's also a great time to purchase a new bed frame!
- Be patient - Most companies have sleep trial periods that allow you to return the mattress if you're unsatisfied. However, you want to give it a fair shake—sometimes all it requires to find your new favorite mattress is a little patience.
Are there better alternatives than the bed-in-a-box?
As online shopping has grown more popular, an increasing number of people have begun ordering beds-in-boxes. While convenient, there is the risk the bed won't expand properly.
Generally speaking, the most comfortable beds won't come in a box. Here are some alternatives to consider.
- Avocado Green Mattress ($1,399) - made from all-natural materials to provide varying firmness levels at different zones.
- Casper Original Mattress ($1,095) - provides a layer of open-cell foam to prevent body heat from building up.
- Brooklyn Bedding Mattress ($949) - an affordable option that comes exactly as firm as you want it.
Where can I find a great, affordable mattress (in 2020)?
If you're searching for an affordable mattress that offers a wide range of comfort and pressure relief, we've compiled a list of mattresses for you to consider:
- Saatva Mattress - fantastic for all sleep positions, and is rated our Best Mattress of 2020.
- Idle Sleep - great for responsive pressure relief.
- Puffy - feels like you're sleeping on a cool cloud (at a good price).
- Ghostbed - beautiful, plush cover w/ aerated latex and healthy spinal alignment.
- Winkbeds - 3-stage back relief with free shipping and returns.
Read our short, well-researched 10 Best Mattresses of 2020, here. Our ultimate goal is to help you pick your perfect mattress online, today!