A full sized bed is best for single sleepers under 6 foot. If you plan to share a bed with a partner, a Queen is the best value for space and price. However, some people may find the Queen too cramped if they have young children or pets who like to lay in bed alongside them. In that case, upgrading to a King is optimal.
Full vs. Queen vs. King
Picking out the perfect mattress type and size is a crucial decision when shopping for mattresses. Below is a quick comparison chart of the 3 most common sizes.
Which Size is Best for You?
Before choosing between full, queen, and king size, here are some important factors to consider:
- Cost & Availability – Finding a mattress that is priced well for what it offers and one that's easy to buy bedding and accessories for is important.
- Height & Sleep Position – Getting a mattress that's the right length for you as well as your sleeping habits is crucial. You don't want your feet hanging off the edge.
- Bedroom Dimensions – Careful; mattress sizes can be deceiving. You don't want to get a bed that's too large for your room.
Key features every couple should look for in a mattress
A bed for two requires a lot more consideration than sleeping solo. Two people means more heat, less room, and having to feel your partners every movement. For this reason, it's imperative to look for a bed with the following features:
- Size – Making sure your bed has enough room for both people to sleep in their normal positions is imperative.
- Low motion transfer – Especially if one partner tosses and turns, low motion transfer is important to prevent one person from disturbing the sleep of another.
- Good edge support – Good edge support allows both people to take full advantage of the entire bed. Plus it provides extra sturdiness and security if you or your partner prefer to sleep on the edge or sit on the edge for extended periods of time.
- Cooling properties – Even if you're normally not a hot sleeper, laying with someone else builds up heat fast. The last thing you want is to be sweating in your sleep, or avoiding cuddle time so you don't stick together. A mattress with built-in cooling technology is definitely worth considering when sleeping with a partner.
Where can I find a great, affordable mattress (in 2020)?
If you're searching for an affordable mattress that offers a wide range of comfort and pressure relief, we've compiled a list of mattresses for you to consider:
- Saatva Mattress - fantastic for all sleep positions, and is rated our Best Mattress of 2020.
- Idle Sleep - great for responsive pressure relief.
- Puffy - feels like you're sleeping on a cool cloud (at a good price).
- Ghostbed - beautiful, plush cover w/ aerated latex and healthy spinal alignment.
- Winkbeds - 3-stage back relief with free shipping and returns.
Read our short, well-researched 10 Best Mattresses of 2020, here. Our ultimate goal is to help you pick your perfect mattress online, today!