Assembling your Sleep Number bed only takes about an hour and doesn't require any tools. While it's always best to have someone else to help you, assembly is possible by yourself.
Before You Get Started
Before assembling your Sleep Number bed, there are a few things you need to have in place to ensure everything goes smoothly.
Set upon a flat surface. All Sleep Number models need to be placed on a flat surface to work correctly. This includes:
- Adjustable bases (try the Sleep Number FlexFit™ Base)
- Frame with slats no more than 2" apart.
Traditional box springs DO NOT work with Sleep Number Beds
Mattress components. It's best to lay out all the parts before assembly so you can make sure you have all the correct pieces. The Sleep Number Bed includes:
- Foam border walls (4 total)
- Center foam wall (only included for dual-chamber beds)
- Air chamber(s) (single for twin, dual for queen and up)
Sleep Number Step-By-Step Assembly Guide
- Mattress Cover: Place the mattress cover onto your flat bed platform. Ensure the openings in the bottom of the mattress are at the head of the bed.
- Mattress Cover Top: Unzip and set the mattress cover top aside.
- Foam Side Walls: Place the long border walls along the inside of the mattress cover, extending the bed's entire length. Make sure the notches on the foam are facing the center of the bed.
- Foam End Walls: Place the short border walls at the head and foot inside the mattress cover between the side walls. Check that all foam walls are connected securely and squarely.
- Air Chamber(s): Place the air chamber(s) in the mattress cover so the hose connectors lie on the bottom when inflated and the connectors face the head of the bed.
- Firmness Control™ System: Pass the left hose (marked with a white band) through the opening on the bottom left side of the mattress cover. Connect the hose to the left air chamber until you hear a click. Repeat for the right side of the mattress using the hose marked with a blue band. For single chamber beds (Twin/Twin XL), pass the hose through the opening on the bottom of the mattress cover. Push until you hear a click.
- Activate DualAir™ Technology: Plug your Firmness Control™ System into a working electrical outlet. If you purchased a Sleep Number Remote, insert 2 AA batteries (included) into your remote. Remote turns on automatically. Wait until your mattress inflates, this may take a few minutes.
- Center Foam Wall (Dual Chamber Beds Only): Insert the center foam wall between the two air chambers, then zip the air chambers together.
- Foam Comfort Layer: Place the foam comfort layer on top of the air chambers with the smooth side facing down.
- Border Wrap: Ensure the border wrap extends over the foam comfort layer.
- Mattress Cover Top: To close the mattress cover, place it on the bed with the zipper pull at the head of the bed. Make sure the zipper pin is completely inserted into the zipper box. Zip the top of the mattress cover closed. YOU'RE ALL DONE!
Where can I find a great, affordable mattress (in 2021)?
If you're searching for an affordable mattress that offers a wide range of comfort and pressure relief, we've compiled a list of mattresses for you to consider:
- Saatva Mattress - fantastic for all sleep positions, and is rated our Best Mattress of 2021.
- Idle Sleep - great for responsive pressure relief.
- Puffy - feels like you're sleeping on a cool cloud (at a good price).
- Ghostbed - beautiful, plush cover w/ aerated latex and healthy spinal alignment.
- Winkbeds - 3-stage back relief with free shipping and returns.
Read our short, well-researched 10 Best Mattresses of 2021, here. Our ultimate goal is to help you pick your perfect mattress online, today!