You shouldn't make an air mattress your permanent bed. Continuously sleeping on an air mattress causes you to develop health issues and affects your personal life. Getting a more supportive bed such as a memory foam or a hybrid mattress is a great way to prevent these issues.
Air mattresses - a handy backup
The air mattress is a boon to couch surfers everywhere. An air mattress provides a quick inflatable spot to sleep in a pinch. Among all temporary sleeping options, the air mattress is king.
However, using an air mattress as a permanent sleeping solution is never a good idea. If you make an air mattress your primary bed, you may find that it causes problems in a few ways.
Should I get a different bed?
Sometimes funds can get a little tight and purchasing a new mattress just isn't an option. In this case, an air mattress is perfect to tide you over. If you're thinking about implementing the solution permanently, here are a few reasons why you should get a different bed.
- Health - The primary reason you should ditch an air mattress and get a more traditional bed is health concerns. Constantly sleeping on an air mattress can cause poor quality of sleep and back problems. This all stems from air mattress design, which aims to provide a temporary solution.
- Temperature - Another issue that's more of an annoyance, is the temperature of your bed. Traditional mattresses allow air to circulate which provides a way for body heat to escape. Air mattresses are typically made from vinyl, which builds up heat and turns your bed into a sauna.
- A Companion - If you're currently sleeping alone, putting up with the nuisances of an air mattress is a personal choice. However, if you get a partner and start sharing your bed, an air mattress may become a contention point. If one person moves the other is going to feel it, and you can forget about moments of intimacy.
How can I find the right mattress?
If you're ready to ditch the air mattress and get a better sleeping arrangement, mattress shopping can be intimidating. There are numerous styles for different types of sleepers, and making a selection isn't always straightforward.
Here is a brief summary of mattress styles you can choose from:
- Memory foam mattress - Comes in a wide range of prices and styles, but is a pretty heavy mattress if you plan on moving.
- Innerspring mattress - Provides a more traditional feel and is usually budget-friendly, but is also fairly low-tech.
- Hybrid mattress - If you prefer elements of both memory foam and innerspring, a hybrid mattress melds properties of each perfectly.
Even after you've determined which style you want, you're still faced with targeting a specific model. To help you out, we suggest upgrading to a memory foam or a hybrid mattress.
Here are some top choices worth consideration:
Memory foam mattresses come in various densities for every type of sleeper. They are known for excellent support, reasonable price points, and wide availability. Here are some good beds!
- AS2 by Amerisleep - Available at a mid-tier price point with exceptional comfort that is a major upgrade from an air mattress.
- Molecule 1 - Comfortable foam specially designed to help regulate temperature. As an added bonus, it has a very palatable price.
- The Idle - This mattress has a special gel memory foam so you'll feel like you're sleeping on a cloud. It sits in the middle of the firmness scale and is offered at a great entry-level price.
The hybrid style mattress combines the best aspects of memory foam and innerspring mattresses. They're known for their lasting support, durability, and being the best of all worlds. Here are some good beds!
- Saatva Classic Mattress - The ultimate luxury hybrid mattress. It has a reasonable price for a hybrid, and you may never sleep on an air mattress again.
- The Ghostbed Hybrid Flex - This option sports a hefty price tag but will last way longer than an air mattress.
- Luma's Natural Latex Hybrid - has a reasonable price among hybrid mattresses and the latex offers a different feel some people prefer.
Where can I find a great, affordable mattress (in 2021)?
If you're searching for an affordable mattress that offers a wide range of comfort and pressure relief, we've compiled a list of mattresses for you to consider:
- Saatva Mattress - fantastic for all sleep positions, and is rated our Best Mattress of 2021.
- Idle Sleep - great for responsive pressure relief.
- Puffy - feels like you're sleeping on a cool cloud (at a good price).
- Ghostbed - beautiful, plush cover w/ aerated latex and healthy spinal alignment.
- Winkbeds - 3-stage back relief with free shipping and returns.
Read our short, well-researched 10 Best Mattresses of 2021, here. Our ultimate goal is to help you pick your perfect mattress online, today!