Memory foam mattresses will sometimes need breaking in due to the manufacturing and shipping process. First give your new mattress a chance to breathe before sleeping on it. Also apply pressure, such as walking on it, to soften the surface. High-quality, more expensive mattresses won't need this breaking-in process.
Old and familiar vs new and improved
Even if your old mattress starts to sag, you're used to how it feels. A new mattress inevitably feels a little different and perhaps uncomfortable.
You may have a few restless nights when you first get your new mattress. You might experience buyer's remorse and regret your new purchase.
However, with a little patience, your new mattress will feel several times better than your old one.
Tips and Tricks
There are various tricks on how to break in a memory foam mattress.
- Let it breathe - your new mattress has been stuck in a box for a while. Remove the packaging to give it a chance to breathe before your first night.
- Get the right foundation - Make sure the foundation is solid before putting your new mattress on it. Now's a good time to buy a new one if you're worried.
- Warm it up - Keep the bedroom a few degrees warmer than normal so that the material in the mattress can soften and become malleable.
- Apply pressure - Walk across the surface to soften the materials. You can also place heavy items on it, like books or luggage.
- Sleep on it regularly - Your mattress will become more comfortable the more often you sleep on it. It may be difficult, but just try to make it work for the first few nights until your body adjusts.
- Remain patient - Breaking in a new mattress takes a little bit of time. Just know that the rewards after breaking it in are worth the transition.
Are there better alternatives than the bed-in-a-box?
A bed-in-a-box is convenient. However, the most comfortable options are ones that don't get delivered that way. Here are some great options to consider.
- Leesa Hybrid Mattress ($1,699) - combines the benefits of pocket springs with premium foam.
- Tempur-Pedic PRObreeze Mattress ($3,999) - designed to help manage the micro-climate within the bed to keep you cool at night.
- Birch Natural Mattress ($1,299) - free of any harsh chemicals.
Where can I find a great, affordable mattress (in 2021)?
If you're searching for an affordable mattress that offers a wide range of comfort and pressure relief, we've compiled a list of mattresses for you to consider:
- Saatva Mattress - fantastic for all sleep positions, and is rated our Best Mattress of 2021.
- Idle Sleep - great for responsive pressure relief.
- Puffy - feels like you're sleeping on a cool cloud (at a good price).
- Ghostbed - beautiful, plush cover w/ aerated latex and healthy spinal alignment.
- Winkbeds - 3-stage back relief with free shipping and returns.
Read our short, well-researched 10 Best Mattresses of 2021, here. Our ultimate goal is to help you pick your perfect mattress online, today!