Bowles is a family-owned mattress company founded in 1975 in Jeffersonville, Indiana. They manufacture over 30 different types of mattresses in all sizes (and custom shapes) at prices for every budget. Whether you seek a luxury or economy bed, Bowles is confident you can find a mattress perfectly suited to your needs.
Consider Bowles If...
- You live in Indiana, Kentucky, and Southern Ohio. All Bowles mattresses are produced in their factory in Jeffersonville, Indiana (where the company was started). They distribute mattresses within a 200-mile radius of that factory.
- You love options. Bowles produces over 30 mattress variations ranging from luxury to economy. This makes it incredibly easy for you to find a bed that perfectly suits you.
- You have a specific shape in mind. Bowles offers customization on the shapes and sizes of its mattress to fit odd or unique spaces, like campers, trucks, waterbeds, horse trailers, round beds, and antique beds.
- You want a mattress from a trusted brand. The Bowles family has been in business for over 40 years, starting the company in 1975. Each mattress is built by a craftsman with more than 21 years experience.
Avoid Bowles If...
- You live outside of their distribution region. While Bowles does have the option to ship to other states, you'll be responsible for the full shipping cost. Plus delivery time takes about 2 weeks.
Bowles has mattresses categorized into nine different series, each with their own firmness level.
- Gold Series: Their premier line, these mattresses are built with a combination of micro coils, latex, and memory foam. It's a luxury sleep system with a softer feel, rating 4-5/10 on the firmness scale.
- Performance Hybrids: Built with micro coils, latex, gel-infused memory foam, and edge performance individually wrapped coils, these beds provide luxury support with beds ranging from 3-7.5/10 on the firmness scale.
- Performance Memory Foam: This collection features pressure relieving all-foam beds with firmness levels ranging from 3.5-6.5/10.
- Performance Latex: Similar to the memory foam line, it provides beds ranging from 3.5-6.5/10 with a more bouncy feel.
- Silver Plus Series: Constructed with a zoned system of individually wrapped springs and gel-infused memory foam, it has a neutral feel sitting around a 5-6.5/10 on the firmness scale.
- Silver Series: Features high-density foams and a pocketed coil system, these beds provide contour comfort with added lumbar support. This collection ranges from 4-7.5/10 on the firmness scale.
- HD Series: Built for strength and durability, this collection uses a 12.5 gauge spring system and 10 steel edge supports for a firm to extra firm feel, rating 8-9.5/10 on the firmness scale.
- Resort Series: Features beds with an overall neutral feel and enhanced lumbar support. They're built with a posturized spring system rating 6-7.5/10 on the firmness scale.
- Season Series: Their economy line, these beds are built with a 13 gauge spring system and are pretty firm, rating 7.5-8/10 on the firmness scale.
Construction Key Points
- Offers mattresses in a variety of styles including innerspring, foam, and hybrid at price points for every budget.
- Bowles has a selection of 2-sided mattresses that can be both flipped and turned.
- Custom sizes are an option with multiple mattresses in the Bowles mattress line, including beds for campers, trucks, waterbeds, horse trailers, round beds, and antique beds.
Support & Motion Isolation
Memory foam is probably the best material at isolating motion, so if this is a priority for you, the Bowles Performance Memory Foam Series is your best option.
However, the all-foam design does a subpar job at providing ample edge support. Couples looking for a bed that has decent edge support and absorbs motion reasonably well should consider the Silver Plus Series.
Returns & Warranty
All Bowles mattresses are backed by a 10-year warranty. You can download a warranty claim form directly on the Bowles website.
The return policy is not transparent on their website, so it's best to contact Bowles directly via phone or email if you are looking to return or exchange your mattress.
Why Buy Bowles?
- Whether you prefer a traditional innerspring mattress or are looking for a higher-end luxury bed, Bowles has a variety of options to match your preferences and budget.
- Those who need extra support from their mattress will do great with a mattress in the Bowles HD Series line. Built with a 12.5 gauge spring system and 10 steel edge supports, this bed is made specifically for strong, sturdy support.
- Unlike many national brands, Bowles offers unique beds, including flippable 2-sided mattresses and ones with custom sizes. If you need a mattress for your RV or sofa bed, Bowles has an option for you.
Why Avoid Bowles?
- Bowles caters to a very specific region, distributing their mattresses within a 200-mile radius of their Indiana factory. While they do have the ability to ship outside of this region, you're responsible for the full shipping cost (which can be pretty hefty). And on top of the cost, you'll have to wait roughly 2 weeks before your mattress arrives.
Bowles is a great choice if you want a variety of options at a price point for every budget. Their mattresses are also surprisingly comfortable. You can get a great deal on a Bowles mattress, today!
Check out our Top 10 Mattress Picks of 2022, here!